Other than Jesus there is no figure more richly drawn in the New Testament than St. Peter, the leader of the apostles whose feast we celebrate today (along with St. Paul). Reading the Gospels and Acts, one really gets a sense of this loyal, impulsive, courageous and flawed man. Much of his personality comes out in the many declarations of his that Scripture records. Thus, I have decided to list here my 10 favorite St. Peter quotes (I would have also done the same for St. Paul, but I’m afraid I would just end up listing his entire epistles).
Favorite St. Peter Quotes
10) “We believe that we are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus” (Acts 15:11)
9) “We have given up everything and followed you.” (Mark 10:28)
8 ) “I have neither silver nor gold, but what I do have I give you: in the name of Jesus Christ the Nazorean, (rise and) walk.” (Acts 3:6)
7) “Whether it is right in the sight of God for us to obey you rather than God, you be the judges. It is impossible for us not to speak about what we have seen and heard.” (Acts 4:19-20)
6) “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the holy Spirit.” (Acts 2:38)
5) “Lord, you know that I love you” (John 21:15, 16, 17)
4) “Get up. I am only a man myself.” (Acts 10:26)
3) “Depart from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man.” (Luke 5:8)
2) “Master, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.” (John 6:68)
1) “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” (Mt. 16:16)
Sts. Peter and Paul, pray for us!