- Divine Life – A Blog by Eric Sammons - http://ericsammons.com/blog -
Better than TV
Posted By Eric Sammons On March 15, 2010 @ 7:25 am In Kill Your TV | Comments Disabled
One of the very few non-Christian, non-baseball blogs I follow is Seth Godin’s . He is a marketing expert who writes about productivity in the business world (and in all of life) and other related topics. He recently had a post titled But it’s better than TV  that I really appreciated:
At the local health food store lunch buffet, they offer stir fried tempeh.
I never get it. Not because I don’t like it, but because there are always so many other things on the buffet that I prefer.
That’s why I don’t watch TV. At all. There are so many other things I’d rather do in that moment.
Broadcast TV was a great choice when a> there weren’t a lot of other options and b> when everyone else was watching the same thing, so you needed to see it to be educated.
Now, though, you could:
- Run a little store on eBay
- Write a daily blog
- Write a novel
- Start an online community about your favorite passion
- Go to meetups in your town
- Volunteer to tutor a kid, in person or online
- Learn a new language, verbal or programming
- Write hand written thank you notes each evening to people who helped you out or did a good job
- Produce small films and publish them online
- Listen to the one thousand most important operas
- Read a book or two every evening
- Play a game a Scrabble with your family
None of them are perfect. Each of them are better than TV.
And of course, as Catholics, we could add many more to this list:
And the list could go on and on…
Article printed from Divine Life – A Blog by Eric Sammons: http://ericsammons.com/blog
URL to article: http://ericsammons.com/blog/2010/03/15/better-than-tv/
URLs in this post:
 Seth Godin’s: http://sethgodin.typepad.com
 But it’s better than TV: http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2010/03/but-its-better-than-tv.html
 subscribe to my RSS feed: http://ericsammons.com/blog/feed/
Copyright © 2010 Divine Life - A Blog by Eric Sammons. All rights reserved.